Assisted dying became legal in New Zealand from 7 November 2021. This month, the New Zealand Ministry of Health published the data of the period 7 Nov 2021 – 31 Mar 2022.
Between 7 November 2021 and 31 March 2022, 206 people applied for assisted dying. As at 31 March:
- 59 people were still in the process of assessment or preparation for assisted dying
- 81 people did not continue the process (due to being ineligible, withdrawing or dying of their condition)
- 66 people had an assisted death.
- Assisted Dying Service Data and Reporting | Ministry of Health NZ (about the demographics, locations)
- End of Life Choice: 66 people have had an assisted death since euthanasia legalised – NZ Herald