A report recently published by the Voluntary Assisted Dying Review Board in the 4th year of VAD operation in Victoria showed that:
- The number of deaths from people accessing a voluntary assisted dying substance has risen by 11 per cent, from previous year to 306.
- Voluntary Assisted Dying Review Board, Annual report July 2022 to June 2023. A most informative report on the 4th year of VAD operation in Victoria.
- Of these 257 self-administered the VAD medication, a rise of 9% from previous year
- In 49 cases VAD medication was physician administered a rise of 26% from the previous year
- The number of VAD applications rose by 6 per cent to 649 compared with the previous year.
- Participation by the medical practitioner in at least one case as either the co-ordinating or consulting medical practitioner rose 12% to a total of 208 for the 4-year period
- 81% of VAD applicants over the 4-year period had either previously accessed or were currently being treated by Palliative Care.
- To read more: Voluntary Assisted Dying Review Board, Annual report July 2022 to June 2023.